Ipswich’s Hannah Martin wins bronze with England as they beat Argentina in Hockey World League
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich’s Hannah Martin and her England team-mates powered to a 5-2 win over Argentina to claim bronze at the Hockey World League Semi-finals in Johannesburg today.
A brace from Giselle Ansley and strikes from Sophie Bray, Susannah Townsend and Laura Unsworth guided England to victory in an enthralling encounter.
Having lost to the USA on penalty strokes in the semi-final, England responded in a big way to convincingly beat world number three ranked side Argentina to finish the tournament on a high.
Reflecting on the match, coach David Ralph said: “We are delighted with the result and what pleased us more is our performance.
“To pick ourselves up from the semi-final result and play like that shows the character within this group.”
It was all level at 2-2 at half-time. After the break England came flying out the blocks and restored their lead as Martin’s deflection rattled the post and Unsworth scored as England took control.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 5 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143