Ipswich’s Jack Purdy lands junior British kickboxing title
- Credit: cont
Ipswich kickboxer Jack Purdy has landed the Junior 60kg IKF British title after five gruelling rounds.
The 17-year-old from Mamba Martial Arts Club defeated SXF’s Joe Shelton in Rochester, Kent, and returned victorious thanks to a unanimous points victory.
Shelton was called in at late notice but possessed a good record, like Purdy, and both fighters came to give it their all.
From the first bell it was a war in the ring with plenty of strong shots coming in from both sides. Purdy was coming in off a good TKO win just a week earlier and was in no mood to lose.
The duo meet again April 30 in Debenham, near Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Mamba also had fighters competing on the same day at another event in Peterborough.
They had five members enter in three different disciplines – kata, points karate and light continuous.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
Amber Halls came first in points and in light con, Shannon Thompson was second in light con and third in points, Peter Graefe won third place in points, as did Belinda McPhearson.
Jordan Wright did himself and Mamba proud in the points but unfortunately didn’t get to the podium this time, while Graefe also entered Kata and did brilliantly, just missing out on a place in the top three.