Ipswich’s Jack Purdy lands junior British kickboxing title
- Credit: cont
Ipswich kickboxer Jack Purdy has landed the Junior 60kg IKF British title after five gruelling rounds.
The 17-year-old from Mamba Martial Arts Club defeated SXF’s Joe Shelton in Rochester, Kent, and returned victorious thanks to a unanimous points victory.
Shelton was called in at late notice but possessed a good record, like Purdy, and both fighters came to give it their all.
From the first bell it was a war in the ring with plenty of strong shots coming in from both sides. Purdy was coming in off a good TKO win just a week earlier and was in no mood to lose.
The duo meet again April 30 in Debenham, near Ipswich.
Mamba also had fighters competing on the same day at another event in Peterborough.
They had five members enter in three different disciplines – kata, points karate and light continuous.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
Amber Halls came first in points and in light con, Shannon Thompson was second in light con and third in points, Peter Graefe won third place in points, as did Belinda McPhearson.
Jordan Wright did himself and Mamba proud in the points but unfortunately didn’t get to the podium this time, while Graefe also entered Kata and did brilliantly, just missing out on a place in the top three.