Ipswich Town interested in Gareth McAuley as they close in on loan signing of Jon Walters
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Gareth McAuley is one of several central defenders Ipswich Town have shown interest in, we understand.
Blues boss Paul Hurst has signed young winger Jordan Graham on loan from Wolves this week and is closing in on the addition of veteran striker Jon Walters on a six-month loan from Burnley.
A centre-back is the last remaining piece of the jigsaw ahead of Friday’s 5pm deadline with a deal for long-term target Curtis Tilt (Blackpool) having gone cold.
Town re-signing former duo Walters and McAuley – eight and seven years on from their departures respectively – seemed unthinkable just a few weeks ago as Hurst targeted young players from the lower leagues he knows so well.
However, the Blues boss – whose side are bottom of the Championship table and out of the Carabao Cup just six games into the campaign – is keen to add a bit of short-term experience to his thin squad as they continue to collectively find their feet at this level.
You may also want to watch:
McAuley, who turns 39 in December, is a free agent after being released by West Brom this summer.
The Northern Ireland international was a popular figure during his three seasons at Portman Road (08-11) and went on to be a Premier League regular with the Baggies.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
It’s been reported that Scottish Premier League side Rangers, now managed by Steven Gerrard, were closing in on his signing.