Ipswich Town interested in Gareth McAuley as they close in on loan signing of Jon Walters
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Gareth McAuley is one of several central defenders Ipswich Town have shown interest in, we understand.
Blues boss Paul Hurst has signed young winger Jordan Graham on loan from Wolves this week and is closing in on the addition of veteran striker Jon Walters on a six-month loan from Burnley.
A centre-back is the last remaining piece of the jigsaw ahead of Friday’s 5pm deadline with a deal for long-term target Curtis Tilt (Blackpool) having gone cold.
Town re-signing former duo Walters and McAuley – eight and seven years on from their departures respectively – seemed unthinkable just a few weeks ago as Hurst targeted young players from the lower leagues he knows so well.
However, the Blues boss – whose side are bottom of the Championship table and out of the Carabao Cup just six games into the campaign – is keen to add a bit of short-term experience to his thin squad as they continue to collectively find their feet at this level.
McAuley, who turns 39 in December, is a free agent after being released by West Brom this summer.
The Northern Ireland international was a popular figure during his three seasons at Portman Road (08-11) and went on to be a Premier League regular with the Baggies.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 3 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 4 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 7 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 8 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 9 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 10 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
It’s been reported that Scottish Premier League side Rangers, now managed by Steven Gerrard, were closing in on his signing.