Ipswich to host team championships
IPSWICH have been chosen to host the British Team Cycle Speedway Championships next year. After the success of the Individual Championships in August, Ipswich have once again been chosen to showcase a big event, this time the 2008 Team Championships.
IPSWICH have been chosen to host the British Team Cycle Speedway Championships next year.
After the success of the Individual Championships in August, Ipswich have once again been chosen to showcase a big event, this time the 2008 Team Championships. It will be held on September 14.
The Whitton-based club will hopefully use the opportunity to boost their own record in the competition, in which they have struggled to make a real impression on the top ranked teams.
However, there are not many high expectations being held for the team, as there are many clubs hotly tipped to take the title in front of them, including fellow Suffolk side, Great Blakenham.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the competition was held in Norwich, and holders Horspath, are expected to make a strong case for things again.
The Oxfordshire-based club include Great Blakenham's Lewis Osborne, who came second in the individual championships this year. Lee Aris, the victor in that contest with Osborne, will ride for Wednesfield, who are also in good stead to challenge for the title. Aris will be expected to deliver the goods for his team, as he managed to do so for individual glory.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
Local lad, Daniel Pike, will relish the chance to prove himself on home turf, as he brings his Leicester team over in the search for victory, whilst Poole and Stoke are also good bets.
To host the Team Championships so soon after the Individual Championships is a great honour for the club.
Ivan Pike, chairman of the Ipswich Cycle Speedway Club said: “Having had the biggest individual championships here this year, to have the biggest team event so soon afterwards is fantastic.
“It is a massive honour and shows that we are up there among the top cycle speedway clubs in the country.
“We attracted more than 500 fans for the Individual Championships, and we have the time to promote and ticket this event, so we expect to get about the same crowd.
“But we are just honoured to have the opportunity to host another big event for the sport, showing we are being recognised for our work.”
Ipswich last reached a team final in 1994, losing to Leicester.