A fan of Town’s traditions...but Paul Jewell questions ‘the Ipswich way’
PAUL Jewell believes any Ipswich Town manager must embrace the family traditions of the club.
But the man who is dividing opinion among Blues fans is less convinced by any perceived ‘Ipswich way’.
In years gone by, Town have played an attacking, expansive, pass-and-move game that supporters have embraced.
With his side just a point from the bottom of the Championship, Jewell is more pragmatic, adopting a current win-at-all-costs mentality.
He explained: “What is the Ipswich way? We have been in the Premier League for just five years of the last 25.
You may also want to watch:
“The traditions at this club are fantastic, it is very family-orientated and we should embrace that.
“But you can’t forget the Ipswich way hasn’t been very good over the last few years – since I have been here and before I was here.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 5 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
“We want to try and play winning football, if that can be attractive then great. But our main aim at the minute is to get ourselves out of the hole we are in.”
Jewell goes into tomorrow’s match with Cardiff City fully aware that Town fans have not celebrated a league victory at Portman Road for seven matches – dating back to the end of March.
“A couple of performances at home have been decent – Blackburn, Huddersfield and even Wolves,” said Jewell.
“I remember us playing Portsmouth at home last year, we were rubbish and won 1-0. I would take that on Saturday.”