Aaron Cresswell wins Supporters Player of the Year
AARON Cresswell has capped a fantastic first season at Ipswich Town by being named the Official Supporters Club Player of the Year.
The name of the 22-year-old left-back, who went off injured in yesterday’s 3-0 home defeat against Millwall, was announced at the Supporters Club annual event last night.
While Cresswell’s signing last summer from League One Tranmere Rovers fell a little under the radar for Town fans, he quickly impressed supporters with his raiding attacks down the left flank and mature defending.
He would have played every single minute of the season, but for a last-minute sending off against Crystal Palace in October which ruled him out of the trip to Millwall a week later.
In all, he has made 44 league and cup starts and scored one goal – the winner in the 3-2 home match against Peterborough last month.
You may also want to watch:
Cresswell hobbled after 62 minutes of today’s match, clutching his hamstring after pulling up close to the dugout.
His season now appears over with Town having just one match to play, at Doncaster next Saturday.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 5 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 6 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 7 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 8 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
In Cresswell’s place, Blues boss Paul Jewell collected the trophy at the event attended by hundreds of supporters.
Tankards were given out to every Town player, permanent and loan, who made their debut in the 2011/12 season while Carlos Edwards won the Away Match Passport Holders’ Player of the Year.
Icelandic midfielder-cum-defender Gunnar Thorsteinsson won the Dale Roberts Trophy for the Academy Player of the Year.
- For more reaction on Cresswell’s award, see tomorrow’s Ipswich Star/EADT