Town show interest in Almeria forward Appiah
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town have shown an interest in Almeria’s young England international forward Arvin Appiah, we understand.
Appiah, 20, is left-footed but predominantly operates on the right wing, but is comfortable on either flank or in a central role. He is one of a number of players looked at by Ipswich boss Paul Cook and CEO Mark Ashton this summer and it remains to be seen whether or not the Blues make a formal move.
The Amsterdam-born 20-year-old, with Ghanaian heritage, grew up in Nottingham and came through the ranks at Forest, where he made seven appearances as a teenager, scoring once.
His breakthrough and clear potential saw him capped by England up to Under 19 level and ultimately saw him make a surprise £8million move to Almeria in 2019, a Spanish second division club recently bought with Saudi money.
He signed a contract which is thought to expire in the summer of 2024 but the move has not worked out, with Appiah making just 10 league starts for Almeria over two seasons and ultimately finishing the 2020/21 campaign on loan elsewhere in the second tier, with Lugo.
A departure, whether loan or permanent, looks likely this summer and whether Ipswich make their interest formal remains to be seen.
Six new faces have arrived already, with Wes Burns, Lee Evans, Rekeem Harper, Macauley Bonne, Vaclav Hladky and Matt Penney all arriving at Portman Road.
- 1 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 5 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 6 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 7 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 8 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson