Another blow for Ipswich Town as Adam Webster will miss the rest of the season
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town’s ailing season has been dealt another blow with the news that star defender Adam Webster will be out injured for the rest of the campaign.
The ex-Pompey defender, who has impressed during his first season with the Blues, injured his ankle in training and scans have shown ligament damage which will keep him sidelined for a significant spell.
The Blues have Luke Chambers, Christophe Berra and Paul Digby available to play centre-half at Huddersfield this weekend, with new addition Jordan Spence also eligible. Fellow new signing Kieffer Moore, though a striker, stands 6ft 6ins tall and could play at the back in an emergency.
Tommy Smith is still recovering from a back injury.
“Adam’s out for the rest of the season through injury,” boss Mick McCarthy told the official club website.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s ruptured his ankle ligaments and it’s a big blow for us and for him.
“It’s sad for all of us, but more so for Adam as he’s had a great season so far. But that’s it now, unfortunately his season is over.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
The news is the latest blow for the Blues in a season which has seen them descend into mediocrity, with a defeat at non-league Lincoln in the FA Cup Third Round on Tuesday night a new low point.
Many fans are now calling for under-fire boss Mick McCarthy to leave, although he is battling with one of the smallest transfer budgets in the Championship, and has several key players out injured.
What do you think?