Arran Lee-Barrett offers words of comfort for Cody Cropper
ARRAN Lee-Barrett has taken time out from his starring role in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Derby County to offer words of comfort to his young understudy Cody Cropper.
The 18-year-old American suffered a blow to his hopes of convincing Paul Jewell he is worth an extended contract – and playing in the Olympics next year – after injuring his knee in training last week.
Cropper, an unused sub for Town on two occasions this season, has since had surgery but faces two months on the sidelines.
Lee-Barrett said: “Myself and Richard (Wright) spoke to Cody on the day of his operation and on Saturday. We are gutted for him. His operation went well and hopefully he will be back soon.”
Cropper has a professional contract with the Blues until the end of the season meaning Jewell will need to make a decision in the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
He has also eyed a spot in the USA Olympics team for London having been capped at Under-20s level.
Lee-Barrett was man of the match in the win over the Rams – only getting the nod due to David Stockdale returning to Fulham with Richard Wright not deemed fit enough to start.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Stockdale played in Fulham’s 2-0 win over Bolton on Saturday as he looks to cement his place in Fabio Capello’s squad for Euro 2012 – and he certainly has Lee-Barrett’s vote.
The 27-year-old said: “Stocky [is] a great person to have around. He has such a bubbly personality, every day is great with him. He is a great keeper. We got on well and I am glad to see he is playing in the Premiership.”
And of Wright, he added: “Richard has played for this club in over 300 games and for England. He has great experience and it is great to work with him.
“He has trained all season for us and I have been really impressed with how he has handled himself – he is so professional. Every keeper at the club helps each other, from the academy through to the first team. It is a unit in itself and we stick together.”