Arsenal winger close to Ipswich Town deal as Blues boss praises Alex Henshall
Mick McCarthy expects to wrap up the signing of Arsenal winger Ainsley Maitland-Niles today, but revealed he also has big hopes for fellow wideman Alex Henshall.
Seventeen-year-old Maitland-Niles is expected to sign a season-long loan from the Gunners on Thursday and will be expected to be part of McCarthy’s first-team plans next season.
Henshall, signed after being released by Manchester City last summer, was not afforded such a luxury in his first full season at Portman Road, but the Blues boss is hopeful he will have more of an impact this season.
“I’m going to speak to him (Maitland-Niles) today and everything is fine, hopefully he will join us today,” said McCarthy on the club’s first official day back in pre-season training.
“Ainsley is a good player but I hope the lads we have already got, the likes of Dylan Connolly – who was excellent in the under-21s last season – flourish.
“We have Alex Henshall who has come back flying and had a personal trainer during the summer. He has set his stall out, he had a good end to last season, so I am hopeful for him as well.”
Meanwhile, Town’s clash at Reading, in the Championship, on September 11, will be televised on Sky.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 6 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 7 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 8 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month