Arsenal winger close to Ipswich Town deal as Blues boss praises Alex Henshall
Mick McCarthy expects to wrap up the signing of Arsenal winger Ainsley Maitland-Niles today, but revealed he also has big hopes for fellow wideman Alex Henshall.
Seventeen-year-old Maitland-Niles is expected to sign a season-long loan from the Gunners on Thursday and will be expected to be part of McCarthy’s first-team plans next season.
Henshall, signed after being released by Manchester City last summer, was not afforded such a luxury in his first full season at Portman Road, but the Blues boss is hopeful he will have more of an impact this season.
“I’m going to speak to him (Maitland-Niles) today and everything is fine, hopefully he will join us today,” said McCarthy on the club’s first official day back in pre-season training.
“Ainsley is a good player but I hope the lads we have already got, the likes of Dylan Connolly – who was excellent in the under-21s last season – flourish.
You may also want to watch:
“We have Alex Henshall who has come back flying and had a personal trainer during the summer. He has set his stall out, he had a good end to last season, so I am hopeful for him as well.”
Meanwhile, Town’s clash at Reading, in the Championship, on September 11, will be televised on Sky.
- 1 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card