AUDIO: Paul Jewell won’t be sacked after lineswoman tirade – plus listen to manager’s rant
IPSWICH Town boss Paul Jewell will not be sacked after his controversial criticism of female assistant referee Amy Fearn.
We understand the club are standing by their man in the face of his tirade against the lineswoman for her part in not giving Town a “stonewall” penalty during last night’s 2-1 defeat to Birmingham.
Speaking after the match, Jewell said: “Unfortunately it looked a penalty to every man in the stadium, but not a woman.
“Although the referee didn’t have a good view, the lineswoman – or whatever she’s called – had a good view and still didn’t give it. It wasn’t even debatable, it was a stonewall penalty.”
The manager has been described as sexist in some quarters and up to about 11am this morning, ‘Paul Jewell’ was trending worldwide on social media website Twitter.
You may also want to watch:
Jewell might still face an FA rap for his criticism of an official, but Town are expected to fight any charge that follows.
A full statement from the club is expected at lunch-time.
- 1 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Matchday Recap: It rains goals at Portman Road as Town hit six
- 4 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Ipswich Town 6-0 Doncaster Rovers: Evans leads the way as ruthless Blues cut loose under the lights
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse