Below par Town behind at interval

Half-time: Scunthorpe United 1 Ipswich Town 0

IPSWICH Town were fortunate to only be one goal adrift at the interval of their Championship game against Scunthorpe at Glanford Park.

For Connor Wickham the game was a reality check. He struggled to compete at this level until giving the ball away unnecessarily for David Mirfin’s 31st minute goal. He was immediately hauled off as the Blues switched from 4-4-2 to 4-1-4-1 on Luke Hyam’s arrival on to the pitch.

This saw an improvement but Ipswich had been overrun for the vast majority of the opening 45 minutes.

Ipswich made eight changes from the side that beat Millwall 2-1 in the Carling Cup in midweek, and reverted back to the same XI who beat Cardiff City 2-0 at Portman Road a week ago.

New loan signing Jake Livermore started the game on the bench where he was joined by six players who all started against the Lions.

Ian Baraclough was confirmed as full time managerial replacement for Nigel Adkins on Friday and he made two changes from the side that lost 5-2 to Manchester United on Wednesday – Jones and Collins in for Canavan and O’Connor.

Most Read

Town started the game in second position and looking to protect an unbeaten away record, but they were under early pressure with Smith fouling Forte on the edge of the box in the fifth minute. Woolford’s free-kick flew high over the bar.

It always seems to be a cold day whenever Ipswich take a trip to North Lincolnshire, and today was no exception with a chilly wind circulating around a ground situated on the outskirts of town.

Still to get the ball out of their half for any length of time a 12th minute Iron corner saw McAuley rise to stretch and get his head to the ball to send it dangerously close to the far post.

Ipswich were giving the ball away with virtually every other attempted pass, and when Nolan crossed from the left in the 16th minute, Forte had a free header at the far post, but directed his header over the top.

Only Eastman’s outstretched foot denied a completely dominant Scunthorpe a 20th minutes goal after Dagnall had gone beyond McAuley deep in the area. A minute later, it was Fulop’s turn to make an error – coming out to meet a corner but getting nowhere and glad to see Jones’ header go wide of a vacant goal.

Terrible play by Wickham led to Scunthorpe taking a lead that they richly deserved. He had time to play to the ball to a team mate as Town at last cleared the ball out of their area. But his hasty pass only went as far as Byrne who sent the ball straight back in the danger area where central defender Mirfin found himself goal side and able to float a header beyond the stranded Fulop and into the far corner.

It was no surprise when Wickham was taken off seconds later – although most of his team mates had been just as bad in the opening stages as the 17-year-old.

McAuley had an effort blocked at the far post following a long throw by Edwards with Town still awaiti8ng their first opening hgalf league goal of the campaign Half-time:

Scunthorpe United 1 Ipswich Town 0

IPSWICH have been drawn at home to League Two Northampton Town – the lowest team left in the competition – in the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

The Cobblers beat Liverpool on penalties at Anfield in the third round. The game will be played on October 26 or 27.


Scunthorpe United: J Murphy; Byrne, Mirfin, Jones, Nolan; Collins, Togwell, Wright, Woolford; Dagnall, Forte.

Ipswich Town: Fulop; Eastman, McAuley, Smith, O’Dea; Edwards, Leadbitter, Norris, Townsend; Wickham; Scotland. Substitutes: B Murphy, Murray,

Referee: Mr M Haywood (West Yorkshire)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter