Bent to miss out on World Cup squad again
Darren Bent looks set to miss out on England’s World Cup squad yet again
DARREN Bent looks set to miss out on England’s World Cup squad yet again.
Sky Sports are reporting that the Sunderland striker will be one of the seven unfortunate players to be cut from England’s provisional squad when manager Fabio Capello announces his final 23-man squad later today.
The Ipswich Town youth team product Bent played the first half of England’s 2-1 friendly win over Japan on Sunday, but did not do enough to climb above the likes of Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch or Jermaine Defoe in the forward pecking order.
Bent – who has six international caps to his name – scored 25 goals in all competitions for Sunderland this season.
He also controversially missed out on a place in Sven Goran Eriksson’s final World Cup squad four years ago in Germany when, having finished the season with 22 goals for Charlton, he found himself omitted at the expense of surprise inclusion Theo Walcott.
– Fabio Capello’s final 23-man squad to follow.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143