Birmingham City, Fulham and Wigan Athletic keen on out-of-contract Ipswich Town winger
Championship duo Birmingham City and Fulham, plus relegated Wigan Athletic are keen on signing out-of-contract Ipswich Town winger Paul Anderson, we understand.
The 26-year-old will not be offered a new deal at Ipswich in the immediate future, although further discussions may be held later in the summer if that suits both player and club.
The former Nottingham Forest man, who scored in the first-leg of the Championship play-off semi-final draw with Norwich City, hit the net seven times in 71 appearances during a two-season spell with the Blues, but regularly found himself on the substitutes’ bench during his time at Portman Road
Town fans wanting Anderson to stay have set up an online petition asking McCarthy to give the Melton Mowbray man a new contract, but we understand there will be no shortage of takers, should nothing materialise.
Birmingham and Fulham will be looking to strengthen their squads after finishing 10th and 17th respectively in the Championship, while Wigan, who released five players on Tuesday, will rebuild after falling into the third tier.
You may also want to watch:
Anderson, who played his last game for Town in Saturday’s play-off second-leg defeat at Norwich, is one of several players to have not yet been offered new terms by the Blues following their failure to cement a Play-Off Final date against Middlesbrough on May 25.
The Hunt brothers, Noel and Stephen, and Darren Ambrose are in the same boat as Anderson, while Richard Chaplow, who moved to Suffolk on-loan from relegated Millwall in February, is now also a free agent.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
Ex-Macclesfield Town defender Elliott Hewitt has also been told to find a new club after Town decided against taking up an option to sign him for a further year, while Anthony Wordsworth, Paul Taylor, Paddy Kenny and Omar Sowumni are also on the look-out for new employers.
Jack Marriott, meanwhile, has signed for Luton Town.