Blades keen to sell Evans
SHEFFIELD United manager Danny Wilson has reportedly made it his top priority to sell Ched Evans – a striker who has continually been linked with Ipswich Town.
The Blades, relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time in over two decades, desperately need to offload some of their highest earners.
Striker Darius Henderson (Millwall) and winger Mark Yeates (Watford) have already been sold this summer, but Wilson has been told by his board that Evans – the club’s highest earner – must also go.
Ipswich manager Paul Jewell revealed last Thursday that he was still waiting to hear back from a club as to whether a bid for a striker had been accepted.
And 6ft Evans would certainly fit the bill as a target man type forward to complement fox-in-the-box Michael Chopra.
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old Welsh international played a handful of games for star-studded Manchester City before eventually being sold to Sheffield United for �3m in 2009.
He spent a successful season-long spell on loan at Norwich City in 2007/08, scoring the Canaries’ goal in their 2-1 East Anglian derby defeat at Portman Road.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 9 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Evans, currently away with the rest of the Blades squad on a pre-season trip to Malta, has also been linked with Championship clubs Middlesbrough, Leicester and Cardiff.
Meanwhile, 35-year-old midfielder George Boateng appears to be left with a straight choice between signing for Ipswich or Nottingham Forest. The 35-year-old former Aston Villa and Middlesbrough player – a free agent having left Greek side Skoda Xanthi – has trained with both clubs this summer.