‘Blame me, not Simon Clegg,’ says Paul Jewell
Direct your anger at me.
That’s Blues boss Paul Jewell’s message to supporters following an increased level of criticism towards owner Marcus Evans and chief executive Simon Clegg.
With Town just three points above the Championship relegation zone following a return of just seven points from 36, Town fans have rapidly begun to question all levels of management at the club.
Clegg admitted he was surprised to have been personally singled out for blame this week, with Jewell today backing his chief executive’s corner.
“Simon’s fine,” said Jewell when asked about their working relationship. “There’s a lot of good work that goes on at Ipswich that Simon does which people don’t see.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to accept that people aren’t going to like us at the moment because we’re getting beat.
“We want to be liked, but the only way to get liked is to win football matches.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
“When you’ve been in football all your life you know one thing’s for sure – you’re going to get stick.
“Some of it is unfair, but that’s the way football is.”
He added: “It’s not really Simon’s fault that we’re losing matches. I don’t know what’s been said, but I’m sure he’s had a lot of unfair stick.
“When things are going badly people need someone to lash out at and it’s normally the manager. Apparently the chief executive is now getting it too.
“All I’d say to the fans is if there is any flak, throw it my way. I don’t like it, but I can deal with it.
“It’s not like I’m seeing something I haven’t seen before. I’ll take the blame because I’m the manager.”