‘Blame me’ says Keane

IPSWICH TOWN: Roy Keane today blamed himself for the defeats against Coventry and Watford in the last week that have knocked a big hole in the Blues hopes for this season.

Keane leads his side into npower Championship action against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground tomorrow (kick-off 3pm) still questioning his part in the poor displays.

He has ruled out bringing in an experienced head to work as he feels that Ipswich will get out of the hole they are currently in danger of falling headlong into.

“I need to do my job better,” said Keane.

“I have said it before, and I’m not afraid to say it again.

“This week I have not been working well enough and I have to accept the criticism.

“My team selection for Coventry and Watford is up for debate and along with my staff I am as accountable as anybody.

Most Read

“I’ll never shy away from accepting responsibility myself.”

And reflecting on bringing in an experienced ex-manager – something he said last May that he was looking to do – Keane went on;

“I spoke to one or two people during the summer, but it did not pan out.

“But now is not the time to panic. It is not the time to reach for my little black book.

“It is a long while since we suffered back-to-back defeats and I have full faith and confidence in my back-up team.

“If someone suitable comes along then I will look into it, but as things stand I’m happy with the staff that I’ve got.”

Keane sees a good result tomorrow – with a Carling Cup game against League Two Northampton coming up on Tuesday – putting a much better light onto things.

He went on: “Yes we are in a pretty sticky patch, but a result tomorrow would put that right.

“It’s a big week coming up and we have to knuckle down and work hard and return to how we were at the start of the season when we were much harder to beat.

“Forest are a well organised side who will always score goals with good attacking players and we could not ask for a tougher match.”

Keane admits that he was disappointed not to sign 32-year-old QPR midfielder Shaun Derry in the summer.

“He was in the building, and agreed to sign, but a deal could not be done,” said Keane.

“Players with his experience are street wise at Championship level and he was not the only one we were close to signing pre-season.

“I’ll not say I’m frustrated about it – more disappointed.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter