Blues fan David Wright backs Jewell appointment
DAVID Wright plays for Crystal Palace but is an Ipswich Town fan.
And he says that he’s delighted with the appointment of Paul Jewell to replace Roy Keane as Ipswich manager.
Wright spent three and a half years at Portman Road until joining the Selhurst Park-based fellow Championship side in the summer and still lives in Ipswich where he and his family intend to remain.
Before joining the Blues four years ago today, Wright helped Wigan gain promotion to the Premier League in 2004/05 when Paul Jewell was manager.
Wright revealed in the Evening Star that he was left devastated when told by Keane last April that he would not be renewing his Ipswich contract, and he said today:
You may also want to watch:
“As an Ipswich Town fan I’m pleased with the appointment.
“Paul Jewell is very experienced and he’ll make sure his players are fit, athletic and well organised.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
“He’s also been very successful at Bradford City as well as Wigan and I see no reason why he shouldn’t replicate what he achieved with those two clubs at Ipswich.
“He built the Wigan squad and it was a great time getting promoted and staying in the top flight.
“I have some great memories and hopefully he can put the smiles back on the faces of the Ipswich club and their supporters.”
“I think it’s a really good appointment.”
Former Town captain Jason De Vos also played for Wigan under Jewell, and he said: “Paul Jewell is a winner, and has a very good eye for talent.
“He built the squad that won promotion at Wigan from scratch.
“I enjoyed my time there immensely and have nothing but good things to say about Paul Jewell.”