Bolton ready to move for McAuley
BOLTON are set to enter the race to sign Gareth McAuley if they cannot convince Gary Cahill to remain at The Reebok Stadium.
Cahill is attracting interest from several top Premier League sides including Manchester United and Trotters’ boss Owen Coyle has identified McAuley as a potential replacement with a �2million fee mooted.
Rangers are also said to be interested in the 30-year-old, who was voted the supporters’ player-of-the-year last season, but with the Glasgow giants suffering from financial problems, Bolton look to be in pole position.
Town boss Roy Keane will not welcome Bolton’s interest despite stripping the Northern Ireland international of the club captaincy last season.
McAuley went on to form an excellent central defensive partnership alongside Damien Delaney in the second half of the season and has been identified by Keane as a player who should form part of the spine of his side next sea-son.
You may also want to watch:
McAuley will be on international duty later this month when Northern Ireland take on Turkey and Chile in friend-lies and Coyle is likely to send scouts to check on the defender’s form.
Keane has acknowledged that Premier League clubs are bound to take an interesting in some of the Blues’ shining lights this summer but he is confident he can convince them to remain at Portman Road.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'