Bournemouth have signed ‘most promising left-back around’ says Ipswich Town boss
- Credit: Archant
Premier League new-boys Bournemouth have acquired the ‘most promising left-back around’ in Tyrone Mings, according to Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy.
Mings moved to the south coast last Friday in a reported £8m switch – a deal which saw Brett Pitman and Ryan Fraser move in the opposite direction to Portman Road.
While reluctant to see the defender move on, McCarthy could not stand in the way of the youngster, who was plucked from non-league Chippenham for £10,000 in late 2012.
Almost three years later but after just 56 games for the Blues, the 22-year-old will be lining up against the likes of Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero and Alexis Sanchez next season.
“It won’t faze him at all,” said McCarthy.
You may also want to watch:
“From minute one when he walked in here he was never fazed by that.
“He came from Chippenham, yes he had been at Southampton as a youngster, but had never played at this level in the Championship, which is a big old stride.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
“We have lost a really good left-back but it’s great for him and the money we have got is remarkable for a Championship left-back.
“If he does as well as Cressy (Aaron Cresswell) did in his first season at West Ham – he won every player-of-the-year award there – I think he will do well.
“Bournemouth have got a good deal as well because I think he is the most promising left-back around.”
McCarthy was speaking at Town’s return to pre-season training yesterday but offered a typically straight bat when it came to discussing potential targets.
He did acknowledge though that the club would be linked with lots of names with the Blues boss reportedly having the Mings money burning a hole in his pocket.
“We are going to be linked with loads of players, even more so now we have a shed load of cash,” he said.
“I would like to think I could spend it wisely. If you make mistakes when you sign players for nothing and don’t pay them a lot, those mistakes tend to get overlooked a bit.”