Bournemouth have signed ‘most promising left-back around’ says Ipswich Town boss
- Credit: Archant
Premier League new-boys Bournemouth have acquired the ‘most promising left-back around’ in Tyrone Mings, according to Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy.
Mings moved to the south coast last Friday in a reported £8m switch – a deal which saw Brett Pitman and Ryan Fraser move in the opposite direction to Portman Road.
While reluctant to see the defender move on, McCarthy could not stand in the way of the youngster, who was plucked from non-league Chippenham for £10,000 in late 2012.
Almost three years later but after just 56 games for the Blues, the 22-year-old will be lining up against the likes of Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero and Alexis Sanchez next season.
“It won’t faze him at all,” said McCarthy.
“From minute one when he walked in here he was never fazed by that.
“He came from Chippenham, yes he had been at Southampton as a youngster, but had never played at this level in the Championship, which is a big old stride.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 5 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 6 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 10 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
“We have lost a really good left-back but it’s great for him and the money we have got is remarkable for a Championship left-back.
“If he does as well as Cressy (Aaron Cresswell) did in his first season at West Ham – he won every player-of-the-year award there – I think he will do well.
“Bournemouth have got a good deal as well because I think he is the most promising left-back around.”
McCarthy was speaking at Town’s return to pre-season training yesterday but offered a typically straight bat when it came to discussing potential targets.
He did acknowledge though that the club would be linked with lots of names with the Blues boss reportedly having the Mings money burning a hole in his pocket.
“We are going to be linked with loads of players, even more so now we have a shed load of cash,” he said.
“I would like to think I could spend it wisely. If you make mistakes when you sign players for nothing and don’t pay them a lot, those mistakes tend to get overlooked a bit.”