Brett Pitman leaves Ipswich Town to sign for Portsmouth
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Striker Brett Pitman has left Portman Road for League One Portsmouth - and has immediately set his sights on promotion.
The 29-year-old joins for an undisclosed fee and has signed a three-year deal on the south coast, putting an end to his time with Town, whom he joined from AFC Bournemouth in June 2015.
He still had a year to run on his Blues deal, but Mick McCarthy is keen to freshen up his squad following last season’s disappointing 16th-place Championship finish.
Speaking to the Pompey website, Pitman said: “I had a good chat with the manager at Ipswich and we both decided that it was time for me to move on.
“But I don’t see this as a drop down – I see it as an opportunity to push on and hopefully get promoted again.
You may also want to watch:
“When I went back to Bournemouth I signed a three-year contract and we were in League One, but when I left they were in the Premier League – who’s to say that can’t happen again?
“This is too big a club for League Two and arguably it’s too big for League One, so our collective aim has to be to go up to the next level.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 10 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
“I spoke to the manager – and he’s been successful in this division before – and he sold the project to me.
“I’ve never set a target and I won’t this season, but I’ll try to score as many goals as I possibly can.”
Pitman added: “He said: “Walking out for the first league game in front of those fans will be special and it’s one of the things I’m most looking forward to.
“I’ve played at Fratton Park for the visiting team before and you always come away saying how good they are. Win, lose or draw they get behind the team.”
Pitman arrived at Town on a free transfer from AFC Bournemouth in June 2015, along with loan winger Ryan Fraser, when Tyrone Mings joined the Cherries in an £8.1m deal.
He finished his debut campaign as the Blues’ top-scorer, scoring 11 goals in 28 starts and 19 substitute appearances, but then netted just four times in a reduced 14 starts and nine sub displays during 2016/17.