Burton sign former £13.5m striker ahead of Ipswich visit
- Credit: PA
Burton Albion have signed free agent striker Oumar Niasse ahead of their visit to Ipswich Town this weekend.
The 31-year-old has been without a club since leaving Huddersfield in the summer, having not played a game for the Terriers due to injury.
He moved to England in 2016, joining Everton in a £13.5million deal, but ultimately made only 12 league starts for the Toffees and was told he could leave the club by former boss Ronald Koeman. He did manage eight goals for the club, though.
Niasse spent time on loan at Hull and Cardiff during his Everton career, before being released by the club in 2020.
He's not played a game of professional football in more than two years, but is bidding to revive his career with Burton.
The nine-cap Senegal international enjoyed prolific spells with Akhisar Belediyespor (Turkey) and Lokomotiv Moscow prior to his move to England.
Burton manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink said: “We are obviously aware that Oumar has been out of training for a while since he left Huddersfield.
- 1 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 'He's an amazing guy... a legend' - United keeper de Gea's praise for new Town coach Grant
- 9 14 players that Town could target for a creative spark
- 10 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
“He’s been training with us for a short period and has shown a lot of hunger and desire to get back playing.
“We know he’s made over 50 Premier League appearances, and he’s shown us that he can add something to the squad that we have – hopefully he’ll be a good help for us to finish the season strongly.”
Niasse could make his Burton debut at Portman Road this weekend.