Can transformed Town reach the play-offs?
IPSWICH TOWN: Blues fans are licking their lips at the prospect of Paul Jewell’s side storming up the Championship table and grabbing an elusive play-off place.
Thirteen points from the last 15 on offer have seen the tide turn at Portman Road with thoughts of possible relegation under previous manager Roy Keane replaced by hopes of Premier League football next season under Jewell.
Hull City are in town on Saturday and like the players, the Blues faithful cannot wait having seen Doncaster Rovers thrashed 6-0 at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday.
If the game had been played on its original date of December 28, the anticipated outcome was a home win or at beat for Ipswich a draw.
Such has been the transformation over the last five weeks or so since Jewell came on the scene along with coaches Chris Hutchings and Sean McCarthy.
You may also want to watch:
In all but two seasons since 2001/02 at least 73 points have been needed to claim a play-off place – Watford (07/08) and Blackpool (09/10) being the exceptions with 70 points each.
Ipswich currently have 41 points with nine games left and seven away.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 4 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 5 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
To achieve a further 32 points they can only afford to lose a maximum of five more matches – and win the remaining 11 – so it’s a tall order.
But such has been Jewell’s impact that at the moment that halcyon task looks a possibility.
And delighted Town fans are in the mood to celebrate. Bring it on!