Captain fantastic – Mick McCarthy heaps praise on Carlos Edwards
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town manager Mick McCarthy has heaped praise on his evergreen skipper Carlos Edwards.
The 34-year-old missed only his sixth game in two-and-half seasons last weekend when he was rested for the 2-1 FA Cup defeat at Aston Villa.
He’ll return to the right-wing for today’s match at table-toppers Cardiff City to make his 156th appearance for the club in less than four years.
Despite going through a difficult off-field time when his wife gave birth prematurely to twins last year, the Trinidadian has always continued to go about his business with a smile on his face.
And McCarthy admits he’s been impressed with his captain as the veteran attempts to earn himself another one-year contract extension with the club.
You may also want to watch:
“I gave him a break because he has been different class,” said the Blues boss.
“He has played four games in two weeks and he has been fab.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 7 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 8 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
“It was the same with Guirane N’Daw and the same with Chambo (Luke Chambers) – I could have tossed a coin between him and Tommy Smith (as to who to rest) last week. The fact Patrick (Kisnorbo) is right-footed, I played him.
“If Tyrone Mings hadn’t been cup-tied, I would have played him instead of Cressie (Aaron Cresswell) as well.
“They will feel a bit fresher going into the Cardiff game now.”
– For live match updates, follow @Stuart_Watson and @davegoods on Twitter.