Matchday Recap: Town let lead slip to lose at Cheltenham
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town were beaten 2-1 by Cheltenham Town this evening.
Ipswich Town’s stuttering start to their League One season continued as the Blues let a lead slip before going down 2-1 at the hands of Cheltenham Town.
The hosts, ahead early through Matt Penney’s goal, were in full control of this contest and should have been two up, only for Macauley Bonne to somehow miss with an open goal at his mercy, as the striker waited too long to finish after doing all the hard work to round the home keeper.
Town continued to dominate the game, with Kyle Edwards impressing on his full debut, but the Blues’ inability to score the second ultimately cost them as the hosts scored twice after the break, with Cheltenham’s famed long throws playing a part in both.
Callum Wright headed home the first, after Ben Tozer’s long throw was only half cleared and then the ball put back into the box before Will Boyle profited from pinball inside the Ipswich box, as Tozer again caused chaos.
The loss means Paul Cook’s men have taken just a point from their opening three League One games, heading into Saturday’s home clash with MK Dons.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12