Collins will give Town pace and experience – Jewell
PAUL Jewell has praised Danny Collins “commitment and ambition” after revealing the Stoke City defender turned down loan moves closer to him before joining Ipswich Town.
The Welsh international today completed a 93-day loan deal and goes straight into the squad for tomorrow’s match at Blackpool.
Jewell said: “We’re obviously delighted to have been able to bring Danny to the club. The defence is an area that we have been looking to strengthen and we’ve also had some injuries there as well so Danny will add to the competition for places in that department.”
The 31-year-old, who was on the Welsh bench for their defeat by England at Wembley on Tuesday, has twice got promoted with former club Sunderland – once under former Blues boss Roy Keane.
Jewell added: “He will give us more pace and has Premier League experience. He knows what this league is like as well having been promoted twice as champions with Sunderland.
You may also want to watch:
“He is versatile and can play at left-back, so he provides options and he’s also an international, so we are getting a player with a lot of qualities. He’s a good addition for us.
“There were other clubs interested in him, much closer to his home, so it shows his commitment and ambition to come here and play games.”
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash