Collins withdraws from Wales squad
IPSWICH Town loanee Danny Collins has withdrawn from the Wales squad for their up-and-coming European Championship Qualifiers with a groin problem.
The 31-year-old Stoke centre-back – who has been outstanding in his five games for the Blues so far – was named in Gary Speed’s squad to face Switzerland at home (Friday) and Bulgaria away (next Tuesday).
However, he has today withdrawn alongside Joe Ledley (Celtic) and James Collins (Aston Villa), with Jonathan Williams (Crystal Palace) and Lewin Nyatanga (Bristol City) added to the squad.
The severity of Collins’ injury is yet unknown.
Meanwhile, Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer has withdrawn from the Australia squad to face Malaysia in a friendly on Friday and Oman in a 2014 World Cup qualifier (both home) next Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Australia coach Holger Osieck says that the 38-year-old injured his back while playing for Fulham two weeks ago and reinjured it during the warm-up for his team’s 6-0 win Sunday over Queens Park Rangers.
Ipswich are constantly on edge about the fitness of the veteran custodian because Fulham can recall keeper David Stockdale from his season-long loan spell at Portman Road with 24 hours notice.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
Stockdale himself is on international duty with England this week, the Three Lions playing at Montenegro in a European Championships Qualifier on Friday.