Connor Wickham loan move is unlikely admits Paul Jewell
SUPPORTERS’ hopes of seeing Connor Wickham make a dream return to Portman Road appear to have fallen at the first hurdle after Paul Jewell admitted Ipswich would have to pay 75% of his wages during any loan spell.
Rumours surfaced at the weekend that Sunderland might look to loan Wickham out following a disappointing first season in the Premier League following his �8.1 million move from Suffolk.
This fuelled speculation that the 19-year-old might be set for a sensational return to Ipswich on a season-long loan.
But manager Paul Jewell has all but ruled out a bid for Wickham due to the expense it would incur Town.
He explained: “I do think we have first call on Connor (should he got out on loan).
You may also want to watch:
“But we would have to pay three-quarters of his wages and we don’t have that type of money.”
The teenage striker started just five games during his debut campaign at Sunderland following his big-money move from Town last summer.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Manager Martin O’Neill on Monday revealed that he would ‘not be adverse’ to some of his players going out on loan.
However, a source close to the player has told www.greenun24.co.uk that there is ‘absolutely nothing’ in the Ipswich rumours and that the teenager is concentrating on fighting for a first team place at The Stadium of Light.