Currie tips Lee to be hot stuff
Lee Martin has been tipped to terrorise Championship full-backs after his man-of-the-match display against Wolves on Saturday.
The mercurial winger might have had a stop-start career with the Blues so far, but he has been one of Town’s best performers in pre-season.
And his display against Wolves – capped by a mesmerising piece of skill that set up Lee Bowyer’s goal in the 2-1 defeat – has convinced a former Ipswich winger that Martin could star this season.
Darren Currie, who was in the Portman Road stands for Town’s last pre-season friendly, said: “Lee is a very exciting player. The thing with a wide-man is that it is all about confidence. He needs to see the ball a lot and the Wolves match was a good example of that.
“As a winger, you can be deemed ineffective if you don’t see plenty of the ball. But Lee was always getting the ball and you always felt something was going to happen.
You may also want to watch:
“He put in a great cross for the first goal and every time the ball landed on him, he was positive. It was nice to see someone run at the full-back.”
Currie, who made 69 appearances for Ipswich and is currently a free agent, believes Martin has a crucial role in getting the best out of chief goal-getter Michael Chopra.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
He insisted: “I definitely think he will have a big part to play this season. He will supply plenty of crosses which will be perfect for Chopra, who is a real goal-getter but needs the service.”
Do you agree with Darren Currie? Can Lee Martin finally fulfil his potential at Ipswich Town? Let me know your thoughts via firstname.lastname@example.org