Damien Delaney heads trio of absentees for Ipswich Town cup clash
Ipswich v Bristol Rovers: International call-ups will deprive Paul Jewell of three players for tomorrow night’s Capital One Cup tie at home to Bristol Rovers (7.45pm ko).
Damien Delaney has become the latest player to miss Town’s first competitive match of the 2012/13 season after receiving a late call-up for Republic of Ireland’s friendly in Serbia on Wednesday.
The Ipswich defender will act as cover following a string of injuries to Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad – having narrowly missed the cut for the Euro 2012 championships.
But it will leave Blues boss Paul Jewell with something of a headache, having just two recognised centre-backs in Luke Chambers and Tommy Smith ahead of the visit of the League Two side.
Youngsters Josh Carson and Ronan Murray will also miss the cup clash after being called up by Northern Ireland Under-21s and the Republic of Ireland Under-21s respectively.
Murray faces Turkey in a European Championship qualifier tomorrow night while Carson will hope to add to his caps against Hungary on Wednesday.
All three will hope to come through unscathed and be part of Jewell’s 18-man matchday squad when the Championship kicks off at home to Blackburn on Saturday.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 9 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 10 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- Keep checking this website throughout the day for all the latest transfer news, team news and the Jimmy Bullard situation.