'He is very, very good' - Ex-Town star Bent praises young defender Baggott amid Premier League links
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent says he understands why Premier League teams are interested in young Blues defender Elkan Baggott - and jokingly asked Leeds United to leave him alone.
6ft 4ins centre-back Baggott, 18, has been linked with moves to both Leeds and West Ham United, as Town battle to tie him down to a first professional contract.
Baggott, who's made one senior appearance for Town this season and has travelled with the first team squad for other games, has also been a key part of the Town U18 squad who have reached the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.
And Bent told Football Insider: "First of all, Leeds better leave my young Ipswich Town players alone, just leave them where they’re at.
“He’s a youngster I’ve seen quite a lot this season, he is very, very good. I’ve seen him a fair bit and obviously, I still speak to a number of people who have been raving about him.
“Leeds obviously identifying this is a young lad that could get better so I can fully understand it because he’s a good player.
“He reads the game relatively well for a youngster, for a young kid he reads the game very well. He’s relatively comfortable in possession as well.
“The biggest thing for defenders, I think too many people get caught up on like John Stones, for instance, that that type of centre half that can play, can bring it out. I’d compare him more to someone who takes pride in his defending.”
Town are understood to remain confident a deal will be done, with Baggott and his representatives currently considering the contract offer from the club.
- 1 Infection rates drop in Suffolk as UK records deadliest day of pandemic
- 2 Hadleigh rated as one of the worst areas for coronavirus deaths in England
- 3 Controversial plans that would double village in size set for approval
- 4 Temporary mortuary to open as virus deaths continue to increase
- 5 Man drove 128 miles for fish and chips in lockdown
- 6 Infection rates continue to tumble across Suffolk and Essex
- 7 Orwell Bridge to close as Met Office issues warning of up to 70mph winds
- 8 Electricity restored to almost 500 homes following power cut
- 9 'That league will be like a walk in the park for him' - Fans react to Town signing midfielder Harrop
- 10 New campaign aims to encourage residents to Discover Suffolk by making country walks fun