David McGoldrick and Ipswich Town stunned by Bristol City
- Credit: Archant
Bristol City v Ipswich: David McGoldrick admitted Ipswich Town’s failure to perform for the duration cost them three points as Bristol City nabbed a late, 2-1 win at Ashton Gate.
Former Ipswich Town striker, Jon Stead scored in the last-minute to seal a vital victory for the relegation-threatened Robins, in a game that looked destined for a draw.
Daryl Murphy shrugged off the attentions of Liam Fontaine to fire Town into a first-half lead but City began brighter in the second half and the impressive Paul Anderson played in former Ipswich target, Steven Davies, for the equaliser on 47 minutes.
The Blues could have gone into half-time 2-0 up, only for Lee Martin to miss a sitter, before the winger was denied by a superb reflex stop from Tom Heaton in the second period.
Stead sent the majority of Ashton Gate into raptures with his last-minute strike, giving his side an unlikely three points and plunging the Suffolk club back into trouble.
You may also want to watch:
“The boys are gutted in the dressing room because we did not play to the levels we performed in the first half, for the second 45 minutes,” said McGoldrick.
“We were comfortable and scored a good goal but we knew they were going to come at us in the second half.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 6 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 7 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 8 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 9 Town set to learn Carabao Cup and Papa John's Trophy opponents
- 10 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
“Even after the first goal though, they did not look a threat in terms of scoring a second.”
See a comprehensive match report, plus analysis, reaction and pictures in Monday’s Ipswich Star.