No McGoldrick as Ireland fly to Denmark for World Cup play-off
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick will not be with the Republic of Ireland squad in Copenhagen for the first leg of their World Cup play-off with Denmark.
The Blues forward was initially called up for the two-legged tie, but was then left out when the squad was cut down as he continues to struggle with an ongoing groin problem.
Ireland boss Martin O’Neill had said ‘there was still room on the plane’ for McGoldrick if he proved his fitness, but he will not be making the flight per the Republic’s squad list released this afternoon.
Former Blues Daryl Murphy and Conor Hourihane do travel, as does Jon Walters who along with Seamus Coleman is with the squad in a ‘supporting role’ at a time when they are sidelined with injuries.
The first leg, which could also involve Ipswich left back Jonas Knudsen, will be played at Parken in Copenhagen on Saturday, with the return in Dublin on Tuesday. The winners reach the World Cup.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Bersant Celina could be in action for Kosovo Under 21s tonight when they take on Israel in a European Championship qualifier.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill