David Stockdale may have played his last game for Ipswich Town
DAVID Stockdale may have played his last game for Ipswich Town.
The Blues saw the England international custodian recalled by employers Fulham on Wednesday following an injury to Mark Schwarzer.
And with Richard Wright still struggling with a shoulder injury – and young American Cody Cropper injuring his knee in training yesterday – Town may put 17-year-old Irish academy player Conor O’Donnell on the bench for tomorrow’s Championship visit of Derby County.
Town manager Paul Jewell could try and renew Stockdale’s loan in January, but with Schwarzer possibly not fit again until February it looks more likely that he will have to try and sign another keeper instead.
“He’s conceded nearly 40 goals so I wasn’t that disappointed when I got that call!” said Jewell, when asked about Stockdale’s return, before quickly adding: “Joke, that’s a joke!
You may also want to watch:
“Yes, it’s a blow for us because David is a terrific goalkeeper. We’re disappointed to lose him – especially after a good result at Barnsley – but there’s no using crying over spilt milk, it’s done and it presents someone else with an opportunity.
“Will I try and sign him again in January? I don’t know. If Mark (Schwarzer) is out for six weeks, which they say he might be, then that would take us past the window.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 5 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 9 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 10 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
“We will be in the market to get another goalkeeper if we can.”
– For full match preview of Ipswich v Derby, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star