Deadline day for Grant Leadbitter
GRANT Leadbitter has until the end of today to tell manager Paul Jewell whether he’s going to sign a new contract at Ipswich Town.
The Blues’ club captain is rapidly nearing the end of his current deal having rejected the offer of an extension earlier in the campaign.
And with Championship rivals Middlesbrough and Brighton both believed to be interested in the 26-year-old midfielder, Jewell wants to know where he stands.
Speaking after his side’s 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace on Saturday, the Blues boss said: “I had a long chat with Grant on Friday morning and told him we need to get an answer asap. We need to know in the next 48 hours really.
“I didn’t speak to him about finance, I just spoke to him about the plans I’ve got.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s given me the impression he wants to be part of what I’m trying to do, but it’s a big decision for him because he’s getting married in the summer and he’s 26. Hopefully we can get it done.”
Town owner Marcus Evans is due to arrive back in the UK from the Bahamas today and is set to hold a lengthy meeting with Jewell ahead of tomorrow’s night’s home match against Birmingham.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 7 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 8 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 9 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 10 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
The Blues boss says he hopes to have sorted out the future of all of his soon to be out-of-contract players – including Jason Scotland, Tommy Smith, Lee Bowyer and Ibrahima Sonko – by the weekend.