Dean Gerken is repaying the faith, says Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says he was delighted to see keeper Dean Gerken repay his faith in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday.
Having been rock-solid during his first three games for the Blues, the summer signing from Bristol City made a mistake in the 2-0 defeat at Wigan, then failed to deal with a corner when Derby pegged the Blues back to 4-4 at Pride Park.
It led to some calls from supporters to see boyhood Blues fan Scott Loach – dropped after a mistake himself – reinstated.
However, Gerken was back to his best at Hillsborough at the weekend, making a super reaction save from Matty Fryatt just before half-time and generally commanding his area with confidence.
“He was fabulous wasn’t he?” enthused McCarthy. “I love that about goalkeepers. They’re doing it with (Joe) Hart at the minute; everybody wants to get him out but Hart’s the best goalkeeper of them all.
You may also want to watch:
“Deano has come in and been terrific for us. I can’t fault him for any of the goals on Tuesday night, but there will have been people saying ‘is he going to change the keeper?’
“Not a chance, because he’s been great and he makes a fabulous save today. That’s what you get from putting faith in people, I believe.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
McCarthy, who has named the same starting line-up for the last four games, added: “We drew four-all and people say are you going to make changes? No, have faith in people and they repay you.”