Delaney could return for Hull visit
INJURED centre-back Damien Delaney could return in time to boost Paul Jewell’s dwindling centre-back options for Saturday’s Championship home game against Hull City.
The 30-year-old rolled his ankle just before half-time in the 3-0 win at Bristol City on Saturday and eventually had to withdraw from the action just past the hour.
Jewell quickly withdrew him from the Republic of Ireland squad which is due to host Croatia in an international friendly on Wednesday, but says he could recover in time for the Blues’ first home game of the Championship season on Saturday.
“He’s tweaked some ankle ligaments and it has swollen up a bit,” said Jewell. “It can be a little bit sore and he is a doubt for the weekend, but he had treatment on it yesterday and should be okay.”
The Blues boss is down to just two fit centre-backs – Ivar Ingimarsson and Tommy Smith – for tomorrow night’s home match against League Two side Northampton Town in the first round of the League Cup.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that we are light at centre-back and we are trying to strengthen,” said Jewell.
“To be honest right throughout the club we are short in that area. I think we’ve only got big Jidi (Maduako) and he’s very inexperienced.”
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday