Delaney injures Keane in training
ROBBIE Keane has become a doubt for Republic of Ireland’s crucial Euro 2012 qualifer on Saturday after a training ground tackle by Ipswich Town defender Damien Delaney.
The Tottenham striker appeared to injury his ankle in a “serious-looking” collision as Ireland prepared for their match against FYR Macedonia.
But speaking after the incident, assistant manager Marco Tardelli said that Keane injured his groin.
Tardelli said: “We have a little problem with Robbie Keane after 15 minutes. I think he will good for the match. At this moment we can say nothing. The other players are fit and we have many choices.”
Keane travelled to Skopje with the team this afternoon and will be assessed again closer to the game.
You may also want to watch:
Tardelli confirmed that former Town loanee Darren O’Dea will partner John O’Shea in the centre of defence – meaning Delaney will have to settle for a place on the bench for the match, which kicks off at 8.30pm.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'