Destruction derby! Zoe Cossey bags a hat-trick as Ipswich Town crush Norwich City
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One Ipswich Town 8 Norwich City 1 Ipswich Town Ladies claimed an East Anglian derby double as they saw off their local rivals with a phenomenal 8-1 hiding of Norwich City at Felixstowe & Walton United’s Goldstar Ground last night, writes Kieren Standley.
Goals from Roxy Small, Amanda Crump, Lindsey Cooper, Miagh Downey, Sophie Welton and a hat-trick for winger Zoe Cossey saw the Blues to a memorable victory.
It took Town just six minutes to open the scoring. Cossey crossed from the left hand side and found an unmarked Small at the back post, who calmly slid home.
Ten minutes later, Town doubled their advantage. Cossey cut in from the left hand side and her cross went all the way through, nestling in the far corner.
The Blues were soon further in front. Cassie Craddock played a perfectly weighted through ball to send Crump one on one and the skipper showed great composure to tuck the ball in the bottom left corner.
You may also want to watch:
A couple of minutes later and it was four. This time Crump turned provider as her corner was met by defender Cooper with a bullet header.
Town completed the first half rout when City keeper Elish Brogan fumbled the ball at the feet of Small, with the midfielder then able to lay the ball on a plate for Downey, to make it 5-0.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town
- 9 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
Four minutes after the restart, Norwich were awarded a penalty when Ipswich defender Jac Ball handled in the area.
City captain Grace Parker stepped up and fired the spot kick in the top right corner, giving Town stopper Sian Fagg absolutely no chance.
After a resurgent spell from the visitors, Town soon re-extended their cushion. Substitute Welton latched on to a ball over the top and her side foot shot beat Brogan to her right hand side.
It would soon be seven for the Blues. Cossey once again cut in from the left, played an excellent 1-2 with forward Natasha Thomas and slotted the return ball past the onrushing ‘keeper to claim her second goal of the night.
Town capped off an incredible evening as Cossey got her hat-trick and fifth goal against Norwich this season. Cutting in from the left again, she drove at the Norwich defence and burst into the area, firing her shot past Brogan with the help of the far post.
The result sees the Tractor Girls just two points off of top in the FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One. The Blues are back in action this Sunday as they take on Walsham-le-Willows at home in the Suffolk County Cup.
Town XI: Fagg (GK), Ball, Petley, Cooper, Arnoup (Moore), Small (Welton), Crump (C), Craddock, Cossey, Thomas, Downey (Henry).