Destruction derby! Zoe Cossey bags a hat-trick as Ipswich Town crush Norwich City
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One Ipswich Town 8 Norwich City 1 Ipswich Town Ladies claimed an East Anglian derby double as they saw off their local rivals with a phenomenal 8-1 hiding of Norwich City at Felixstowe & Walton United’s Goldstar Ground last night, writes Kieren Standley.
Goals from Roxy Small, Amanda Crump, Lindsey Cooper, Miagh Downey, Sophie Welton and a hat-trick for winger Zoe Cossey saw the Blues to a memorable victory.
It took Town just six minutes to open the scoring. Cossey crossed from the left hand side and found an unmarked Small at the back post, who calmly slid home.
Ten minutes later, Town doubled their advantage. Cossey cut in from the left hand side and her cross went all the way through, nestling in the far corner.
The Blues were soon further in front. Cassie Craddock played a perfectly weighted through ball to send Crump one on one and the skipper showed great composure to tuck the ball in the bottom left corner.
A couple of minutes later and it was four. This time Crump turned provider as her corner was met by defender Cooper with a bullet header.
Town completed the first half rout when City keeper Elish Brogan fumbled the ball at the feet of Small, with the midfielder then able to lay the ball on a plate for Downey, to make it 5-0.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 10 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
Four minutes after the restart, Norwich were awarded a penalty when Ipswich defender Jac Ball handled in the area.
City captain Grace Parker stepped up and fired the spot kick in the top right corner, giving Town stopper Sian Fagg absolutely no chance.
After a resurgent spell from the visitors, Town soon re-extended their cushion. Substitute Welton latched on to a ball over the top and her side foot shot beat Brogan to her right hand side.
It would soon be seven for the Blues. Cossey once again cut in from the left, played an excellent 1-2 with forward Natasha Thomas and slotted the return ball past the onrushing ‘keeper to claim her second goal of the night.
Town capped off an incredible evening as Cossey got her hat-trick and fifth goal against Norwich this season. Cutting in from the left again, she drove at the Norwich defence and burst into the area, firing her shot past Brogan with the help of the far post.
The result sees the Tractor Girls just two points off of top in the FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One. The Blues are back in action this Sunday as they take on Walsham-le-Willows at home in the Suffolk County Cup.
Town XI: Fagg (GK), Ball, Petley, Cooper, Arnoup (Moore), Small (Welton), Crump (C), Craddock, Cossey, Thomas, Downey (Henry).