DJ’s delight as Campbell makes it lucky number 13 for Ipswich Town
Birmingham v Ipswich: Matchwinner DJ Campbell believes Town were good value for their 1-0 victory at St Andrews – the Blues’ first win in 13 matches.
The striker gave England reserve keeper Jack Butland no chance with a fierce drive in the ninth minute as Mick McCarthy started his Ipswich Town reign with a victory.
Campbell’s corker, his third since signing on loan from QPR, was followed by a solid, sometimes backs-to-the-wall, performance with Nikola Zigic missing two golden chances for the home side in the second half.
But the striker said: “Without a shadow of doubt, we deserved it. I am delighted for the boys.
“When I signed, I knew how good the squad was – just hadn’t fallen for us. But after today, I think we will be fine and move up the table.”
You may also want to watch:
Of his winner, he explained: “I’ve had a bit of fortune so far (with my other goals), but Lee(Martin) shot, I just tried to read it and thankfully I managed to hit in and it went in.
“I am delighted to score – that’s my job, that’s why I was brought here and that’s what I love doing.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 8 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
“But the most important thing is the team getting points on the board.”
McCarthy was appointed on Thursday following a week-long managerial search after Paul Jewell’s departure by mutual consent.
Campbell added: “We have a great bunch of lads here. With Paul, their attitude was spot-on, we have just been unlucky as it has not really fallen for us.
“With the new gaffer and TC (Terry Connor), it’s been great, they are great.
“It is a good feeling – we haven’t felt like this for a while. We need to kick on and move up the table.”