Dominic Samuel and Jonny Williams make timely returns for Ipswich Town Under-23
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Loan duo Dominic Samuel and Jonny Williams made timely injury comebacks last night as a strong Ipswich Town Under-23 side drew 1-1 with Crewe at Portman Road.
Former England Under-19 front man Samuel, 22, joined the Blues on loan from Reading on January transfer deadline day. He promptly scored a hat-trick as the U23s thrashed Watford 8-0, but broke his toe in that game and has been sidelined for six weeks.
Welsh international Williams underwent shoulder surgery last December and reported a tight hamstring following his initial return to U23 action a fortnight ago.
The duo were both subbed in the 71st minute and could now be in contention for Town’s crunch home clashes with Birmingham and Wigan following this weekend’s international break.
Their returns are timely given forward duo David McGoldrick and Tom Lawrence have just picked up injuries.
Williams won a 27th minute penalty, but Brett Pitman’s spot-kick was saved. Moments later, the striker made amends when netting from close-range following a corner.
Myles Kenlock had to be replaced due to an injury soon after the restart. The visitors drew level after Paul Digby conceded possession on the edge of the box and Daniel Udoh fired into the bottom corner.
You may also want to watch:
TOWN U23s: Crowe, Emmanuel, Kenlock (Webber 48), Digby, Smith, Williams (McKendry 71), McDonnell, Blanchfield, Samuel (Morris 71), Pitman, Sears. Unused: Folami, Wright.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship