‘Don’t take liberties’ former Braintree Town captain warns Ipswich Town, ahead of Lincoln City clash
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Braintree Town skipper Kenny Davis is not surprised by the success Danny and Nick Cowley are having at Lincoln City.
The Imps come to Portman Road on Saturday for an FA Cup Third Round tie, with the Imps flying high at the top of the National League.
The game has ‘banana skin’ written all over it for Mick McCarthy’s Blues, and Davis admits Lincoln will be well versed in all things Ipswich Town come the big day.
“Danny and Nick will prepare things very thoroughly,” said Davis, who was skipper under the Cowleys at Braintree last season, before moving to Boreham Wood in the summer.
“Not that Ipswich won’t of course, but you know what I mean.
You may also want to watch:
“Ipswich will be favourites but they will do well not to take liberties.
“Danny will run through everything with his boys, individually about each Town player. He’s a great young manager.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 4 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 9 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 10 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
Cowley’s Lincoln City are currently top of the National League, two points ahead of Tranmere Rovers, with a game in hand.
Only this week Cowley, inset left, was linked with the vacant Notts County job – but County’s approach was knocked back by the Imps.
He is one of the country’s hottest young managerial properties, but that does not surprise Davis.
“His work-ethic is incredible,” said Davis.
“Both of them – him and his brother. They are a formidable team. What one doesn’t think of the other one will. They will treat the game just like they treat any other game.
“Of course it’s a big one for Lincoln and the FA Cup can spring surprises, we all know that.
“Who knows what team Ipswich will put out? But I imagine Mick McCarthy, inset right, may try out a few fringe players, which is understandable.”
It’s no secret that Davis was on the Cowley’s ‘wish list’ to join them at Lincoln, but circumstances for the London cabbie meant a move was never really on the cards.
“I’m enjoying my time at Boreham Wood and we are doing well,” said former England C international, Davis.
Lincoln are set to bring almost 5,000 fans to Portman Road on Saturday as McCarthy looks to win his first-ever FA Cup game as Ipswich Town’s manager.