Easy does it for Blues

'BEATEN' by Droylsden in the last round, Chesterfield were finally put out of the FA Cup when Ipswich Town won a rather dull third round tie at Portman Road this afternoon.

Elvin King

Ipswich Town 3 Chesterfield 0

'BEATEN' by Droylsden in the last round, Chesterfield were finally put out of the FA Cup when Ipswich Town won a rather dull third round tie at Portman Road this afternoon.

Non-League Droylsden were thrown out for fielding an ineligible player in their replay win over the League Two side.

You may also want to watch:

But Chesterfield were unable to capitalise in today's game that took some while to show any signs of life.

Jon Walters gave Town the lead with a 49th minute penalty after hand ball by Phil Picken, and Pablo Counago added to the lead four minutes later. Jon Stead scored a third in the 87th minute.

Most Read

Town made two changes from the team that beat Derby 1-0 at Pride Park in the Championship last Sunday. Moritz Volz (rested) and Kevin Lisbie (throat infection) dropped out with David Wright and Pablo Counago coming in.

The Spaniard started up front beside Jon Walters, and among the seven Town substitutes were Alex Bruce (back after a four-match ban), Danny Haynes (fit again), young striker Jordan Rhodes and Connor Wickham at 15 years and 278 days the youngest player to turn out for Town if he came on. The youngest FA Cup player was aged 15 years and 233 days - Luke Freeman for Gillingham. As Wickham is still at school in Colchester, Town had to get special permission to include him.

Owen Garvan is back training after illness but was not ready for this weekend, while Richard Naylor was also under the weather.

In the 11th minute Ward, the highly rated young Chesterfield striker, wriggles into space and forces R Wright to dive and turn a 20-yard left-foot shot around the post for a corner.

Seven minutes later referee Hill limped off to be replaced by fourth official Mr G Sutton, who took over the whistle.

Town's first effort on goal came in the 26th minute with a 16-yard Walters header that was easily dealt with by Lee in the visiting goal.

New Town assistant manager John Gorman helped the players in their pre-match warm-up along with technical skills coach Steve Foley.

Miller, who took a knock earlier on, limped off after 29 minutes to be replaced by Haynes - with Norris moving inside to partner Shumulikoski in the centre of midfield.

In the 34th minute, Quinn put Walters clear, but Lee rushed out to block the Town striker's close range effort.

Five minutes later Ipswich fans had something to cheer at last when Haynes sent a thunderbolt of a 25-yard shot that Lee could only beat away. A scramble ensued before the ball was cleared.

Shumulikoski was then booked for a foul - his fifth of the season, which means a one-game suspension.

In the 41st minute - with Town still to find any real form - Campo had to nip smartly across to block a shot from Boden when the striker broke into space.

Town then had there best chance of the half when Quinn was unmarked beyond the far post only to mis-hit his ten-yard shot; seeing the ball roll harmlessly to a relived keeper.

The Portman Road pitch was covered overnight and perfectly playable if a bit hard and slippery in places.

Under former Ipswich manager John Duncan Chesterfield reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup before losing a replay to Middlesbrough in 1997.

Town took the lead in the 49th minute thanks to a hand ball by Picken. His arms went up to deflect a Quinn cross from the left. Replacement referee Gary Sutton had no doubts, and WALTERS stepped up to score with a right-foot spot kick just under the bar to the keeper's right.

Walters' celebration was from the Soccer AM TV show, taking off his scoring boot to make an imaginary telephone call.

R Wright somehow kept out a Ward close range effort after panic took over in the Town defence three minutes later. But Town increased their lead in the 53rd minute after a fine move - out of context with the game so far.

Walters did well, and when Haynes crossed from the right it was with accuracy. Quinn did a block header that was directed into the forward path of COUNAGO who stroked his seventh goal of the season low beyond Lee from seven yards.

With the game now seemingly won, Ipswich started to knock the ball about with more purpose and a reflex save by Lee denied substitute Stead in the 66th minute.

Soon afterwards, D Wright showed signs of aggravating his hamstring strain -with Bruce getting a good reception when he came on to take over at right back.

Kerry had a free header in the 73rd minute from seven yards, but R Wright was able to save easily enough on the goal line with Ipswich now mainly in charge.

STEAD slammed in Town's third goal in the 87th minute after a move involving Thatcher and Walters.

The draw for the fourth round takes place on Sunday afternoon.


Ipswich Town: R Wright; D Wright (sub Bruce 68), McAuley, Campo, Thatcher; Norris, Miller (Haynes 29), Shumlikoski, Quinn (Stead 60); Walters, Counago. Substitutes: Supple, Balkestein, Rhodes, Wickham.

Chesterfield: Lee; Picken, Hall (Currie 56), Downes, Austin; Lowry, Kerry, Winter, Robertson; Boden (Bowery 76), Ward. Substitutes: Harsley, Goodall, Algar, Carson, Askham.

Referee: Mr K Hill (Hertfordshire)

Attendance: 12,524.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter