Ellington set to sign for Town today
NATHAN Ellington will today become Paul Jewell’s third summer signing – and his second attacking acquisition – as the new-look Blues start to take shape.
The 29-year-old striker – a free agent having been released by Championship club Watford – will be reunited with his former boss for a third time following spells together at Wigan and Derby.
Ellington, nicknamed ‘The Duke’, wrote on his twitter account this morning: “Im Signing for Ipswich today subject to medical. Should be an Ipswich player by end noon!!!”
Ellington turned down a chance to sign for newly-relegated League One side Preston, where he played 18 times on loan last season, scoring twice.
The striker, who has a career-total of 154 goals in 488 games, arrives hot on the heels of fellow forward Michael Chopra and it remains to be seen whether Jewell pairs the two new men upfront.
You may also want to watch:
Much will depend on the future of starlet Connor Wickham with the 18-year-old a top target for Premier League clubs.
And it will also add to speculation that either Jason Scotland or Tamas Priskin could move on, with Jewell having six strikers to choose from – Ronan Murray completing the line-up.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson