EXCLUSIVE: Town’s teenage target is Crewe’s Nick Powell
HIGHLY-rated attacker Nick Powell from Crewe Alexandra is the teenage star Paul Jewell has put in a bid for.
The EADT and Evening Star understands the 17-year-old is one of the three transfer bids Ipswich Town have made over the last few days.
Portsmouth duo Jason Pearce and Joel Ward are the other two transfer targets, with sources close to Pompey suggesting a double bid of more than �2m has been tabled.
Reports suggest that Town’s initial bid for Powell has been rejected, but the club were this morning not making any comment.
Cash-strapped Crewe might have no choice but to accept a decent bid for Powell who has also been linked with Arsenal and Chelsea among other Premier League sides in the national press.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager rose to fame last season in the lower leagues playing 19 times in League Two having made his debut at 16 years old.
But it is in this campaign that he has begun to attract wider interest, scoring six times in 21 matches.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
He has also represented England at Under-16s and Under-17s level – playing for the latter in the 2011 World Cup in Mexico.
While described as an attacking midfielder, Powell has led the line for mid-table Crewe.