FAN POLL: Make Bowyer the skipper
BLUES fans have spoken – and an overwhelming majority want Lee Bowyer to be made captain of Paul Jewell’s new-look side.
More than a thousand people took part in a live East Anglian Daily Times and Evening Star webchat yesterday afternoon to discuss all things Ipswich Town.
And when we asked the question ‘Who should be skipper next season?’, they responded unequivocally – Lee Bowyer claiming a landslide 62% of the vote.
It blows away any notion that the Portman Road faithful would reject the 34-year-old because of his controversial off-field past.
Instead the majority appear to be celebrating the midfielder’s arrival as a real coup, focusing on an impressive CV which has seen him play at the top level of English football for 18 seasons.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow midfielder Grant Leadbitter started both of Town’s pre-season games in Holland last week in possession of the armband vacated by former skipper David Norris. Bowyer was never likely to lead the Blues in those games, however, having only completed his move on the eve of the trip.
Leadbitter was second in yesterday’s vote (14%), with Ivar Ingimarsson (11%), Damien Delaney (9%) and other (4%) making up the rest.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
A self-described ‘winner’, who will undoubtedly add some much-needed grit, desire and aggression to the team – should Jewell make Bowyer his new Lee-der? The fans certainly think so.
– What do you think? Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– An Ipswich Town first team side will play at Cambridge United tonight (7.45pm) in their first pre-season friendly on English soil. For live updates, follow @Stuart_Watson and @davegoods on Twitter.