Farce! We had to pay �30 to watch a snow storm!

IPSWICH TOWN: Leicester City fans are to complain about last weekend’s npower Championship game going ahead in snowy conditions at Portman Road.

Official supporters’ club chairman Cliff Ginnetta said the club are to protest about the lack of consideration shown to the 550 travelling fans who paid �30 per ticket to watch City slump to a 3-0 defeat.

Ginnetta said the game should not have gone ahead and, once it did, it should have been abandoned as the conditions worsened.

“We will write a letter to the Football League, after we have all calmed down a bit,” said Ginnetta.

We didn’t pay �30 each to basically watch a snow storm, and it seems the fans are the last consideration in these situations.

“In 50 years of watching City I have never seen anything like that. It was horrendous.

“Whatever possessed the referee to start, and then carry on with that game, it was ridiculous. It beggared belief.

Most Read

“It wasn’t football. You couldn’t expect players to play in that. I have heard some say we used to play in those conditions but we also used to have steam trains and black and white televisions, and we have moved on from those.

“Some of the police outside the ground said they would have stopped it at half-time as they were getting worried about the travelling conditions.

“Luckily, it wasn’t too bad getting home but we will be expressing our concerns to the Football League.”

Lance Tomlyn, of the Independent Supporters Association, said questions must be asked about the pressure placed on referee Stuart Attwell by Sky Sports, who televised the game live.

“Whatever you say it’s going to sound like sour grapes but when you look at other grounds around the country, where games had been called off two days in advance, you have to question whether the game should have taken place,” he said.

“I have never seen a game played in such conditions, not even back in the 1960s and 1970s when they played come what may.

“You have to ask yourself how much pressure was brought to bear on the referee to play the game by Ipswich, who wanted the TV revenue, and from Sky, who wanted it to be on for obvious reasons.

“The most common comment from our members is that they question whether 50-odd ground-staff and stewards would have been clearing snow if Ipswich had been 3-0 down?

“The game should have been abandoned after approximately 30 minutes as the referee could no longer see the lines and, therefore, couldn’t give a questionable penalty decision.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter