Fitness coach Gomez heading back to Spain
ANTONIO Gomez is leaving his role as fitness coach at Ipswich Town to take up a similar position with a club in his native Spain.
The move ends a five year stay in England for the Spaniard, who worked at Liverpool and Sunderland before joining the Blues under Roy Keane in the summer of 2009.
“I’ve been very happy at Ipswich and have really enjoyed working with the players and the staff here,” said Gomez.
“This is a personal decision for me rather than anything else. I have just got married and my wife Natalie has a good job in Spain. I have been offered a fitness coach role at a club back home and the timing feels right to go back to Spain.
“I’m going to miss everyone at the club. I was made to feel very welcome here from the first day I arrived and it’s difficult to say goodbye.
You may also want to watch:
“I spoke to the manager before training on Monday and he was very understanding about it. I felt quite emotional during the session, knowing I was moving on.
“I want to say thanks to the manager, the staff, the players and everyone at Ipswich and hope the club has a very successful season and goes on to win promotion to the Premier League.”
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 3 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 10 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
Town boss Paul Jewell added: “I’ve enjoyed working with Antonio and I’m disappointed to see him leave us but understand his reasons and I’d like to wish him every success in the future.”
Is it yet unclear whether Ipswich, who returned to pre-season training last week, will be looking for a replacement.