Former Ipswich Town chief executive given chairman role
- Credit: Andy Abbott
FORMER Ipswich Town chief executive Simon Clegg has been named chairman of GB Badminton.
The 53 year-old left Portman Road in February this year following almost four years at the club.
Clegg has managed British athletes at 12 Olympic and Winter Olympic Games, six as Team GB’s Chef de Mission including their most successful Olympic performance for 100 years in Beijing in 2008.
Clegg said: “I am delighted and flattered to have been invited to lead GB Badminton through to Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
“I am under no illusions as to the scale of the challenge ahead in what is a highly competitive sport but it is a challenge that I am extremely excited by.
You may also want to watch:
“Having personally witnessed British Badminton medals in previous Games, I look forward to being part of the team here and working with all the stakeholders, particularly UK Sport, the BOA and the Home Country Associations, to give our players the best possible support in their quest for Olympic success.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm