Four-time Ipswich Town loanee Jonny Williams signs new deal at Crystal Palace
Fragile midfielder Jonny Williams, who has both delighted and frustrated during four loan spells at Ipswich Town, has signed a new contract with Crystal Palace.
The 23-year-old was a revelation in his first spell with the Blues and has returned for three further loan periods at the club.
But various injuries meant the man they call ‘Joniesta’ only made eight appearances for Town last season, with just one of those being a start.
Regardless, he’s now signed a deal with Palace which will keep him at the club through to the summer of 2019.
He said: “I am delighted to be signing this new contract at a club that holds a special place in my heart having been here since I joined the academy at the age of eight.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to starting my 17th season at the club.
“With the club’s fifth season in the Premier League coming up I will be working hard through pre-season so I am ready for the challenge ahead at the start of another campaign.”
The mercurial midfielder has been a fan favourite at the Blues every time he’s played, but boss Mick McCarthy seemed to think the Welsh international wouldn’t be back again in the future when he talked about him back in April.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
He said: “I wonder whether he’d want to come here again? He’s had nothing but bad luck with injuries. He was so fabulous the first time he came here.
“He was wonderfully gifted and lit the place up with his ability, pace and trickery and always with a smile on his face. It’s not happened since.
“We’ve had him on two other occasions and he’s just been injured, which is sad because everyone loved him. It’s even sadder for him that his career has stalled.
“He’s got a year left to run at Crystal Palace and it’s a big year for Jonny. He needs to go and play somewhere regularly.”